2.16.2011

Queen Victoria Night Market!!!

Last night, I had the opportunity to head down to the Queen Victoria Night Market with other international students. During the summer months in Melbourne, the area holds several night markets where there's food from different cultures, plenty of music, and lots of little booths to buy souvenirs!

So in a huge group of students, we took the bus, then a train, then a tram (trolley) down to Queen Victoria Market in the City (basically downtown Melbourne with lots of shops and restaurants). It was raining, but we pressed on. So many people were there!!! It's obviously a very big event in Melbourne!




The market was GREAT! I bought a few gifts for friends and family back home. Definitely a bit on the pricy side, but worth it. I would show you all a picture, but I don't want to ruin their surprise :-) I also tried gozleme, which is a Turkish handrolled pastry filled with a variety of things, like spinach and cheese, egg, etc. Apparently, it's served a lot at Australian festivals. I had the lamb. It was...okay haha. I'm a VERY picky eater. Something I'm trying to break myself out of, so I'm determined to try new food while I'm here. I'll let you know how that adventure turns out!

I also had my first taste of sangria, a type of punch that includes some type of wine and maybe a lick of brandy, or some other alcoholic beverage, as well as some spices. NOW, I am not falling over, getting drunk and what not. No disrespect to anyone who loves getting drunk, but it's not really my style. However, it is LEGAL for me to drink here since I am over 18 [I'm 20 :-)], so I had a little sip of something something, you know, haha.

I really enjoyed the market. It was a lot of walking around, seeing cool sites, taking the train and everything. It was a good experience to really explore the city. I love Monash already, but I definitely don't want to be stuck in my dorm all day! Check out some more pics and a little video below!


My new friend Claire and I as we move through the storm!

Flinders Street Station

Random: His name is Luke. I think he plays Australian football. He doesn't know me, and I don't know him. But we maybe just maybe might get married someday. I'm just saying :-)




A video of the Market. A bit shaky, and not a full picture of everything, but it's a taste! 

Queen Victoria Market was definitely live last night! (Live=hot=great! haha)


PEACE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like it was jam packed with locals what did you buy? what type of music do they play mostly? when i was in Cyprus even though the culture was Greek and Turkish the music played mostly was American. How does taking classes with international students differ from an All American class? Love reading your blogs glad you made it safely...

Brittany Shawnte said...

Aww thanks! I bought some jewelry for some of my loved ones. The band that was playing when I was by the stage were doing covers. I remember jamming to "Alejandro" by Lady Gaga! We haven't started classes yet (not until February 28) so we'll see how that goes :)

Elliot King said...

Video doesn't seem to be working but I would be interested in watching it.

Brittany Shawnte said...

Ok I uploaded the video on Youtube instead. It's not the best, but just a little look at what it was like.

Post a Comment