2.15.2011

OFFICIALLY IN MELBOURNE!!!

22 hours of flight. Multiple security checks. Customs. After all this, my group and I have finally made it to Monash University in Melbourne, Australia!!!!! struggled to carry my bags to my new dorm (even when I tried my best to pack light, I still failed), but I made it. My group and I arrived on Valentine's Day, Aussie time.

Definitely noticeable differences. First off, the weather here is AMAZING. It's really hot, but I love it better than the cold weather back home in PG County, Maryland! The people are really friendly. They are quick to approach you, introduce themselves, and make conversation. Something that I think is seriously slacking in the States. We seem to be so busy, going about our own business, that we aren't as friendly to others. Not every American is like that, but a good amount are to me. Melbourne isn't like that at all.


Another difference that I found really cool is Australia's money!!! It's made of plastic, and it can't rip, unlike ours which rips at the drop of a dime. It's also really colorful, while ours is that regular money green, if I had to give it a color. However, this cool new money is slipping out of my pocket like crazy already! Although our dollar and Australia's dollar weigh out pretty much the same, their prices are so much higher! Yesterday, when I went grocery shopping, I saw a box of Fruit Loops for 8 DOLLARS! I had to buy a box of detergent today that was $14, and that was the cheapest one. Others sold for $39. So for those obsessed with brand name, Australia may not be for you, unless you have money like that to shell out.

This week is orientation week for the international students. It's a bit weird to be considered one, but it's cool. I've already met so many people from different countries, like Germany, Korea, and Finland. There are other Americans here also. The international students are very open also. Apparently, Loyola kids have gotten a bad reputation for being really close-knit with each other, and not branching out as much to other students, but I refuse to be that way. I'm being open as well, approaching others and talking. It was cool to see that even though some of my new found friends are from different countries, we still have things in common. Similar tastes in clothes and music, among other things. I even met this one girl who loves Chris Brown like me! He's coming to Melbourne on April 23, so we might go :-)

We have an outing tonight down in Fed Square, a downtown spot filled with shopping, restaurants, and such. During the summer, Melbourne has several "Night Markets" which have food from all over the world, souvenir shopping ,and live music! I'm excited for that definitely! Can't wait to take pics and maybe some video! I will definitely keep you posted....I have several different pictures that I will be sharing throughout my time here, so stay tuned!!! Brittany out!

PEACE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment