3.19.2011

#Random Environment Friendly Campus

A very random thought, but this is another difference I just thought of to add to the list of differences between Loyola and Monash. I was walking from the gym, and was reminded of how environmentally friendly Monash is. I'm not sure if the drought that took place in Australia a few years back made officials rethink their use of resources. Whatever it is, Monash is definitely a green campus.  There are so many recycling bins around campus that students actually use. There is also a bike system where students can rent bikes for the semester or the entire year to use to get around campus, as well as different places nearby, reducing the amount of pollutants released into the air by cars. The maintenance department also stresses the use of water, asking us to do small things, like limit our showers to 4 minutes (I try, but it's mostly a fail haha), turn off our lights when we live, or turn off the tap when we are brushing our teeth. They also have a half flush/full flush system in restrooms (I will leave you to figure out which you should use when). All of this to preserve water.

I feel like Loyola definitely talks about being a green campus, but we all need to step it up. Put in more recycling bins. Share more tips around campus on how to preserve resources, what little steps we can make to make the world a little better. I'm not sure if there is an environmental club or anything on campus. I feel like being here, and working at the Fish and Wildlife Service has made me more aware of how much energy I waste on a day to day basis. My family and I have started recycling back home, and taken steps to restrict just how many resources we use. It's nice to see other people actively doing the same.

P.S. Aboriginal culture post coming next!

PEACE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment