3.14.2011

Loyola vs. Monash

So it hit me today that I have to blog more. I have a lot of work at Monash, but I also have to focus on my work for this travel reporting class too. And in little time, too. I have really only about two months left to finish everything. Got an email today from my professor that he wants more from us, more details about our journeys, more teaching of what being in Australia is about, not just the cliché talks about trips and everything. So I'm going to try to do that.

This blog post probably won't be that though lol. This is just something that I have wanted to write about for a while now. Might be considered a ramble, but this is my experience. I don't consider doing this blog just for a class; this is a connection to my friends and family back home as well. So I write what I please. Bear with me. Even though I've only been here about a month (officially on March 14, a month in Aussieland!), I've noticed so many differences between being at Loyola and being at Monash.

One, the people. Monash is wayyyyy more open than Loyola. When I say open, I mean approachable. Not saying that Loyola students are not, however, here you can have a random conversation with someone and come out with a new friend. I talk to new people, it seems like, almost every day. At Loyola, it seems like people are more on their own agenda, sticking to their own group of friends. Nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with branching out either.

This was actually me bored in orientation, but it can count for
how I feel about some of my classes too haha
(This all is in no particular order by the way.) Two, classes. Now this is where I feel like Loyola definitely has advantage a little bit. Loyola is a pretty small school, so classes are rather small as well, with only about 30 people maximum in a regular class. However, Monash is HUGE, with around 25,000 students. So we have lectures with about, where the teacher actually talks about the reading, and then tutorial where we do presentations, and actually ask questions and comment on the lecture. The lectures are about 2 hours--plus side, is that you would only have a specific class once a week, and then a one hour tutorial. But still, it's 2 hours sitting in a lecture. And depending upon the teacher, that's not good. I've also found that the teachers don't talk about the readings as much, which has resulted in a lot of independent study for me. It's not that I can't figure it out on my own, but I figure a person with a Phd in Theology knows a bit more about the subject than me. I'm okay though. It's just not the same as what I'm used to.

Third, workloads. Loyola has work throughout the entire year, papers, mini summaries, tests, mid terms, and exams, which equals a pretty nice percentage spread of assignments. All of my classes probably have two major essays, tutorial work (basically attendance and a presentation), and then a final exam. That's it. So, let me give an example. With my Media & Culture class, I have one essay due next week worth about 20% of my final grade, a major essay worth 35%, tutorial work worth 10%, and then the final exam worth 35%. Which means if I screw up on just about any one thing, my grade could be really messed up. PRESSURE...sighhhhh. So although we may complain about the amount of work we have to do at Loyola, it actually works out well in terms of final grades.




Fourth, events. This is a a bit under the openness of Monash, as well. Monash has a lot of more activities in the residential halls and around campus that are very well attended. During O-Week, we had so many events to attend all week, and we actually got the chance to bond with one another. In Howitt, we also have what they call "supper" every Sunday, where we have a small dessert for a night snack, and just hang out and talk. It's really nice. I didn't really bond with people from my dorms at Loyola, especially not in sophomore year and this past semester. Monash has way more going on. In the past month, I've been to several parties, barbecues, a music concert, and an amusement park. There's a toga party coming up (which I promise to post pictures of), plus a dinner cruise, and several more barbecues. There's way more school spirit here than at Loyola, to be honest, especially within the halls. As I type this, there is a soccer game going on between all of the halls, and my dorm is playing now! And so many people are out to support! It's not like this back at Loyola that much to me.

My dad asked me the other day, if I had to do all four years over, which would I pick, Loyola or Monash. Well of course if I could stay in lovely Australia, I would. But it's more than that. I feel more love here, more activity here, which is a feeling I always wanted in my college. Now don't get me wrong, I do like Loyola. I wouldn't have stayed there if I didn't. I have friends there. I'm active there. The academics are intellectually stimulating. But Monash would've offered all of the same, with a greater feeling of openness, of more spirit, of honestly a better time. I like Loyola, but I LOVE Monash. Just my opinion.

I'm going to do a blog in the next couple of days about the Aboriginals here in Australia. I am taking Contemporary Australia, which is about the history of Australia. We are talking now about the treatment of Aboriginals, how they were invaded in their native land, and basically force to assimilate to White Australian culture, after British settlers came over. Talking about tomorrow in class, too. Definitely an interesting topic.

PEACE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment